Described by The Times as “the best shopping spot in London”, the Museum of the Home shop is set for growth as we invest in building its profile. Now, we’re looking for someone to deliver a first-class retail offer that is a key part of our visitor experience and embodies the Museum of the Home brand. You will optimise sales and profitability of the retail offer at the Museum of the Home and oversee the efficient management of the retail operation alongside a dedicated and experienced team.
£28,000 per year with generous pension and holiday
Full-time, fixed term (maternity cover) to 31 January 2024
5.00pm on Monday 31 July 2023
Interviews will be held shortly after the closing date
35 hours (5 days) per week between Monday and Sunday with very occasional out of hours working for which time off in lieu will be available. We also welcome applications for flexible working.
About the role
This role is your chance to make a mark as part of a wider collaborative Visitor Experience team, living up to The Times’ description of the shop as “the best shopping spot in London” and alongside Museum of the Home's mission to explore how we can live better together.
The main tasks will be to:
- Lead the Retail team to deliver excellent customer service and shop floor presentation standards
- Recruit, train, develop and schedule retail staff from within the Visitor Experience team, enabling them to achieve a high level of performance
- Produce regular reports to analyse retail performance and inform buying and merchandising, manage the retail budget, working with internal financial systems to maximise growth and mitigate risk and ensure stock holding value and gross profit margin rest between agreed thresholds
- With the Buyer, manage stock re-ordering to ensure demand is met, maintain effective stock control, stock checks and stock takes, ensuring all products are accurately logged on the system and correctly priced
- Build and develop relationships with a range of suppliers to ensure excellent product quality and preferable terms and develop bespoke ranges in line with the merchandise strategy
- Re-order off-the-shelf products which respond to the Museum’s permanent galleries, temporary exhibitions and seasonal themes and identify opportunities for new product ranges and suppliers in response to customer feedback, audience profiling data, and wider trends
- Responsible for the EPOS system, acting as main point of contact with the service provider
- Lead on the Museum of the Home online shop – curate the online retail offer, manage the e-commerce platform, oversee the efficient fulfilment of orders and explore promotional opportunities.
With a solid grounding in the mechanics of retail management and visual merchandising, an eye for detail, retail trends and sound financial management, you’ll be looking for the next step into a creative and commercial role that stretches you and places you within a dedicated and supportive Visitor Experience team as we develop Museum audiences.
You will be able to show you can:
- Analyse data to achieve income targets and meet schedules and budgets
- Maintain effective internal and external relationships and manage and motivate retail staff
- Produce accurate, relevant and timely financial reports
- Buy, develop and source product lines and manage stock flows
- Grow income from e-commerce platforms
- Ensure diligence and compliance in security matters, health and safety regulations and cash handling.
How to apply
Please do not send a CV or cover letter, we will only consider applications with a completed application form. Please read the instructions and download the application form under Current Vacancies on our website before applying.
- Download and complete the application form (below)
- Save your application form as a Word document or pdf
- Upload your completed application form to the online application portal and enter your personal details.
You will need to upload your completed application form and enter your personal details in one sitting. It is not possible to save your application and return to it later. Please note this portal does not work in Internet Explorer.
Due to the quantity of applications, we will only contact those invited to interview. If you do not hear from us by the interview date you have been unsuccessful - we encourage you to stay up to date with upcoming opportunities to volunteer or work with us.
Inclusive and accessible recruitment
As a Disability Confident Committed employer, our recruitment is inclusive and accessible. If you would like to request an alternative application format on disability grounds please contact us on email@example.com
You may wish to discuss reasonable adjustments for a role that interests you. If so please state this on your application and we will be in touch with you.