Visitor Experience Team Leader
Our Visitor Experience team are ambassadors for the Museum’s vision and values. This role sits at the heart of the Museum visitors’ experience. If you are a visitor experience, customer service professional, team leader or supervisor who can help deliver our strategic objectives then we want to get to know you.
In this role you’ll be leading a brilliant team of dedicated and knowledgeable people, and looking after our visitors’ experience of the Museum. Your energy, support and ingenuity will help create memorable experiences for all.
£14,400 per year part-time (£24,000 FTE)
5.00pm on Monday 31 July 2023
Interviews will be held in-person at the Museum of the Home shortly after the closing date
Part-time, 21 hours worked Friday, Saturday and Sunday each week
About the role
Our Visitor Experience team work directly with visitors, helping them to get the most from their visit and understand what makes the subject of Home so special.
Working alongside the team, you will be a hands-on supervisor, supporting the team by coordinating day-to-day tasks, resolving minor issues and, above all, motivating, energising and inspiring those around you.
The main tasks will be:
- Leading from the front, exemplifying excellence in all your interactions with our visitors
- Coordinating daily staffing, working positions and team tasks
- Providing regular operational briefings and sharing knowledge about current and upcoming exhibitions and events
- Promoting donations and memberships, and selling audio guides, event tickets and other products using our ticketing and ePOS systems
- Invigilating gallery and exhibition spaces, providing a safe environment for our visitors and our collections
- Ensuring high standards of presentation across our spaces, resolving minor technical and maintenance issues wherever possible
- As part of a cross-departmental team of duty managers working on a rota, act as duty manager, coordinating the safe, secure and smooth operation of all activity across the museum site
You will have experience working in or supervising a team in a busy visitor experience, retail, hospitality or similar environment. You may be looking to step-up to a team leader role or for a first opportunity in visitor attraction management. Whatever your background you will have exceptional customer service skills and be able to demonstrate that you can:
- Lead by example, inspiring and motivating others
- Roster or schedule teams of 10 or more people, working flexibly to adapt plans and meet unexpected challenges, such as absence or additional tasks
- Confidently operate a till or ticketing system and accurately carry out end-of-day financial reporting and reconciliation tasks
- Resolve minor technical, maintenance or operational problems quickly, calmly and with minimal impact on visitors
- Demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to speak and listen to diverse voices both one-to-one and with larger groups
- Work independently, using initiative to respond to unexpected challenges
We are particularly interested in hearing from people who live or study in Hackney or East London, and who are keen to help us tell new or under-represented stories of Home.
As part of our commitment to safe recruitment job offers are conditional upon DBS clearance if appropriate for the role.
How to apply
Please do not send a CV or cover letter, we will only consider applications with a completed application form. Please read the instructions and download the application form before applying.
- Download and complete the application form (below)
- Save your application form as a Word document or pdf
- Upload your completed application form to the online application portal and enter your personal details.
You will need to upload your completed application form and enter your personal details in one sitting. It is not possible to save your application and return to it later. Please note this portal does not work in Internet Explorer.
Due to the quantity of applications, we will only contact those invited to interview. If you do not hear from us by the interview date you have been unsuccessful - we encourage you to stay up to date with upcoming opportunities to volunteer or work with us.
Inclusive and accessible recruitment
As a Disability Confident Committed employer, our recruitment is inclusive and accessible. If you would like to request an alternative application format on disability grounds please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
You may wish to discuss reasonable adjustments for a role that interests you. If so please state this on your application and we will be in touch with you.