Who we are, how we're run, how we are funded
The Board of Trustees has overall responsibility for management of the Museum. The Board delegate this authority to our Director Sonia Solicari.
The Board of Trustees is currently made up of 12 members including the Chair. The Secretary of State for Culture appoints the Chair and three trustees. The Board appoints the remaining trustees. The Board meets four to six times a year.
The Director, who is appointed Accounting Officer by the DCMS, is responsible to the Board of Trustees for the development of the Museum and its day-to-day management.
The senior management team is the key decision-making team that looks after operations and delivers the Museum's strategy and plan. The team meet every two weeks.
Our Board of Trustees
We're led by a dedicated, experienced and voluntary Board of Trustees. Our trustees are responsible for policy, financial accountability and the overall management of the Museum.
- Samir Shah, Chair (DCMS appointed in 2014)
- Christine Chang Hanway (appointed in 2019)
- Janet Chapman (appointed in 2020)
- John Forrester (co-opted in 2015)
- Robert Ketteridge (appointed in 2019)
- Alexandra Morris Robson (DCMS appointed in 2015)
- Jonathan Newby (appointed in 2015)
- Jeremy Newton (appointed in 2014, retires 31 July 2020)
- Cynthia Polemis (DCMS appointed in 2015)
- Edwina Sassoon (DCMS appointed in 2015)
- John Shakeshaft (appointed in 2020)
- Abigail Williams (appointed in 2015)
Our senior management team
Our senior management team is the key decision-making team that leads the day-to-day management of our employees, looks after operations and delivers the Museum’s strategy and plan. The team reports to the board of trustees.
- Director – Sonia Solicari
- Director of Creative Programmes and Collections – Tamsin Ace
- Director of Communications and Commercial Development – Emma Dixon
- Director of Development – Lucy Littlewood
- Director of Strategy and Finance – Andrew Macdonald
- Director of Capital Projects and Operations – Lisa Moore
How we are funded
We are the Museum of the Home. We are an independent charitable company limited by guarantee set up as the Geffrye Museum Trust in 1990, registered charity number 803052, company number 2476642.
The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) financially supports the Trust by grant-aid. We supplement this with earned income, donations and sponsorship.
The National Lottery Heritage Fund has granted £12.3m to support the redevelopment. We have also received significant support for the capital campaign from major donors, trusts and foundations, companies and individuals.
In 2018 we became an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation.
Plans, reports and policies
Here are our latest annual report and accounts and our up-to-date policies.
We have four key objectives for 2021–24:
- Known as the Museum of the Home, building audiences and reach
- Issues-focussed centre of debate
- Live Better Together
- Enterprising and sustainable
- Child protection policy (pdf)
- Safeguarding adults policy (pdf)
- Environmental sustainability policy (pdf)
- Equality, diversity and inclusion policy (pdf)
- Ethics policy (pdf)
- Fraud, bribery and corruption prevention policy (pdf)
- Freedom of Information policy (pdf)
- Filming and photography policy (pdf)
- Returns policy
We are reviewing our collections development policy.