No Place Like Home: Panel Discussion
Join us for a conversation on the Vietnamese diaspora in the UK and cultural assimilation featuring panellists Annabelle Wilkins, Cường Minh Bá Phạm, Dora Lam, Owen Hewitson, and moderated by KV Duong.
No Place Like Home is a free contemporary exhibition at Museum of the Home featuring works by Vietnamese diasporic artists on the theme of Home.
Situated within the exhibition space and surrounded by these works, our panellists will discuss the notions of Home and transmission through a Vietnamese lens. Through the diversity of voices from our panellists, we hope to unpack questions, including:
- What does home mean for the Vietnamese diaspora community in the UK?
- How are cultural conflicts negotiated within diaspora communities?
- What objects create a feeling of home?
Limited capacity. Booking is essential. Please arrive promptly via Hoxton Overground Station (entrance opposite the station) for a 6.30pm start.
- Annabelle Wilkins, Researcher, Kingston University London and author of Migration, Work and Home-Making in the City: Dwelling and Belonging Among Vietnamese Communities in London
- Cường Minh Bá Phạm, Artist & Co-founder of An Viet Archives Steering Committee
- Dora Lam, Artist in residence: Uncovering Vietnamese Archives at Museum of the Home
- Owen Hewitson (PhD, Psychoanalysis) and Honorary Psychotherapist
- KV Duong (Moderator), Artist & Co-curator of No Place Like Home at Museum of the Home
KV Duong, Hoa Dung Clerget, Duong Thuy Nguyen, Cường Minh Bá Phạm, Carô Gervay, Minh Lan Tran, AP Nguyen, Koa Pham
No Place Like Home (A Vietnamese Exhibition) Part II is on display at the Museum of the Home (136 Kingsland Road, London E2 8EA) from Wednesday 19 April to Tuesday 11 July 2023.
This exhibition features a range of events including workshops, a panel discussion, performances, and food sharing. It is supported by the Jerwood Arts New Work Fund and the Arts Council of England National Lottery Project Grant.
No Place Like Home Part II is part of the East & South East Asian Programme at Museum of the Home. The ESEA programme is generously funded by the Lien Viet fund by Islington and Shoreditch Housing Association.
Tuesday 6 June 2023
Museum of the Home